Growing medical device company with seasoned management, robust technical, financial, IP foundations, and strong clinical ties. The Senior Engineer in this innovative company will have a broad and critical role evaluating the feasibility of early-stage laser based technologies and applying the most appropriate ones to the development of medical devices. This engineer will identify and solve interesting mechanical challenges in an exciting medical device development environment.
- Lead the mechanical design process, including generation of requirements and specifications, conducting design reviews and feasibility studies, mitigating risk, and managing costs and schedules.
- Apply broad systems-level thinking across all core engineering disciplines.
- Work on all aspects of medical device development: research, development, design, assembly, test, debugging of integrated mechanical, electronic, and optical subassemblies.
- Work with vendors to define and procure parts suitable for prototype assembly.
- Build and test prototype devices for bench, animal, and human clinical evaluation.
- Use FEA simulation tools to model mechanical assemblies and guide design development.
- Analyze design performance using SolidWorks.
- Work effectively with cross-functional development teams and functions.
- Maintain proper documentation of design and testing.
- Provide guidance on system fabrication.
- Write reports summarizing observations and present the results.
- BS or MS in mechanical, optomechanical, or electrical engineering, or related fields.
- Five plus years of engineering experience in a product development setting.
- Experience designing medical device systems with optical or laser components.
- Experience designing solutions with a practical plan for their manufacture and assembly.
- Advanced proficiency in 3D CAD software.
- Capable of broad systems-level thinking across all core engineering disciplines.
- Understanding of material selection including biocompatibility and sterilization.
- Familiar with plastics and injection molding for device housings.
- Experience designing equipment for manufacturing, serviceability, and reliability.